About this Course
This course describes how to implement a data warehouse platform to support a BI solution. Students will learn how to create a data warehouse with Microsoft® SQL Server® 2014, implement ETL
with SQL Server Integration Services, and validate and cleanse data with SQL
Server Data Quality Services and SQL Server Master Data Services. 2KO Africa presents computer classes across Africa, and is a leading supplier of internationally-accesible, online computer training, enabling 2KO students the opportunity to study courses online world-wide, to ensure
the best training possible.
At course completion After completing this course, students will be able to
• Describe data warehouse concepts and architecture considerations.
• Select an appropriate hardware platform for a data warehouse.
• Design and implement a data warehouse.
• Implement Data Flow in an SSIS Package.
• Implement Control Flow in an SSIS Package.
• Debug and Troubleshoot SSIS packages.
• Implement an ETL solution that supports incremental data extraction.
• Implement an ETL solution that supports incremental data loading.
• Implement data cleansing by using Microsoft Data Quality Services.
• Implement Master Data Services to enforce data integrity.
• Extend SSIS with custom scripts and components.
• Deploy and Configure SSIS packages.
• Describe how BI solutions can consume data from the data warehouse.
Course ContentsModule 1: Introduction to Data Warehousing
This module provides an introduction to the key components of a data warehousing solution and the high-level considerations you must take into account when you embark on a data warehousing project. Lessons
• Overview of Data Warehousing
• Considerations for a Data Warehouse Solution
Module 2: Data Warehouse Hardware Considerations
This module discusses considerations for selecting hardware and distributing SQL Server facilities across servers. Lessons
• Considerations for building a Data Warehouse
• Data Warehouse Reference Architectures and Appliances
Module 3: Designing and Implementing a Data Warehouse
This module describes the key considerations for the logical design of a data warehouse, and then discusses best practices for its physical implementation. Lessons
• Logical Design for a Data Warehouse
• Physical design for a data warehouse
Module 4: Creating an ETL Solution with SSIS
This module discusses considerations for implementing an ETL process, and then focuses on Microsoft SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) as a platform for building ETL solutions. Lessons
• Introduction to ETL with SSIS
• Exploring Data Sources
• Implementing Data Flow
Module 5: Implementing Control Flow in an SSIS Package
This module describes how to implement ETL solutions that combine multiple tasks and workflow logic. Lessons
• Introduction to Control Flow
• Creating Dynamic Packages
• Using Containers
• Managing Consistency
Module 6: Debugging and Troubleshooting SSIS Packages
This module describes how you can debug packages to find the cause of errors that occur during execution. It then discusses the logging functionality built into SSIS that you can use to log events for troubleshooting purposes. Finally, the module describes common approaches for handling errors in control flow and data flow. Lessons
• Debugging an SSIS Packag e
• Logging SSIS Package Events
• Handling Errors in an SSIS Package
Module 7: Implementing an Incremental ETL Process
This module describes the techniques you can use to implement an incremental data warehouse refresh process. Lessons
• Introduction to Incremental ETL
• Extracting Modified Data
• Loading Modified data
Module 8: Enforcing Data Quality
This module introduces Microsoft SQL Server Data Quality Services (DQS), and describes how you can use it to cleanse and deduplicate data. Lessons
• Introduction to Data Quality
• Using Data Quality Services to Cleanse Data
• Using Data Quality Services to Match data
Module 9: Using Master Data Services
Master Data Services provides a way for organizations to standardize data and improve the quality, consistency, and reliability of the data that guides key business decisions. This module introduces Master Data Services and explains the benefits of using it. Lessons
• Master Data Services Concepts
• Implementing a Master Data Services Model
• Managing Master Data
• Creating a Master Data Hub
Module 10: Extending SQL Server Integration Services
This module describes the techniques you can use to extend SSIS. The module is not designed to be a comprehensive guide to developing custom SSIS solutions, but to provide an awareness of the fundamental steps required to use custom components and scripts in an ETL process that is based on SSIS. Lessons
• Using Scripts in SSIS
• Using Custom Components in SSIS
Module 11: Deploying and Configuring SSIS Packages
In this module, students will learn how to deploy packages and their dependencies to a server, and how to manage and monitor the execution of deployed packages. Lessons
• Overview of SSIS Deployment
• Deploying SSIS Projects
• Planning SSIS Package Execution
Module 12: Consuming Data in a Data Warehouse
This module introduces business intelligence (BI) solutions and describes how you can use a data warehouse as the basis for enterprise and self-service BI. Lessons
• Introduction to Business Intelligence
• Introduction to Reporting
• An Introduction to Data Analysis
This course is intended for database professionals who need to fulfil a Business Intelligence Developer role. They will need to focus on hands-on work creating BI solutions including Data Warehouse implementation, ETL, and data cleansing.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Implementing a data warehouse.
• Developing SSIS packages for data extraction, transformation, and loading.
• Enforcing data integrity by using Master Data Services.
• Cleansing data by using Data Quality Services.
Included in your course fees
• Tuition fees
• Breakfast and lunch on course days
• Teas and coffees
• Attendance certificate
How to enroll for the course
• Before enrolling for the course you should have the following information ready:
o Date you wish to attend the course
o Payment method – how you will be paying
o An understanding of the costs of the total package
• You can call us on our office number (see our web site contact page on
www.i2ko.com) and request a booking telephonically
• You can book by email – simply send us an email with your name, the date and how you would like to pay. We will send you an invoice and upon payment your place is secure
o Request a credit card payment. We do accept credit card payments.
Frequently Asked Questions Where do you train the course?
We train the course at our Bo-kaap training centre in Cape Town, South Africa.
What other branches do you have in SA or in the world?
We only train in Cape Town.
What books do I get with this course?
You will receive a course text book which you can take away with you to keep after the course.
How long will it take me to get certified?
We recommend that students take at least one to two weeks for exam preparation for every module they do. It is unusual for students to be able to take the exam in the same week they do the course.