About this Course
The focus of this course is on creating managed enterprise BI solutions. It describes how to implement multidimensional and tabular data models, deliver reports with Microsoft® SQL Server® Reporting Services, create dashboards with Microsoft SharePoint Server PerformancePoint Services, and discover business insights by using data mining.
2KO Africa delivers full-time computer classes in Africa, and is a leading provider of accredited online IT training, enabling 2KO students the opportunity to study courses online world-wide, to ensure
the best training possible.
At course completion
After completing this course, students will be able to:
• Describe the components, architecture, and nature of a BI solution.
• Create a multidimensional database with Analysis Services.
• Implement dimensions in a cube.
• Implement measures and measure groups in a cube.
• Use MDX Syntax.
• Customize a cube.
• Implement a Tabular Data Model in SQL Server Analysis Services.
• Use DAX to enhance a tabular model.
• Create reports with Reporting Services. Module 1: Introduction to Business Intelligence and Data Modeling
As a SQL Server database professional, you may be required to participate in, or perhaps even lead, a project with the aim of implementing an effective enterprise BI solution. Therefore, it is important that you have a good understanding of the various elements that comprise a BI solution, the business and IT personnel typically involved in a BI project, and the Microsoft products that you can use to implement the solution.
• Elements of an Enterprise BI Solution
• The Microsoft Enterprise BI Platform
• Planning an Enterprise BI Project
Module 2: Creating Multidimensional Databases
This module provides an introduction to multidimensional databases and introduces the core components of an Online Analytical Processing (OLAP) cube.
• Introduction to Multidimensional Analysis
• Creating Data Sources and Data Source Views
• Creating a Cube
• Overview of Cube Security
Module 3: Working with Cubes and Dimensions
This module describes how to create and configure dimensions and dimension hierarchies in an Analysis Services multidimensional data model.
Module 4: Working with Measures and Measure Groups
This module describes measures and measure groups. It also explains how you can use them to define fact tables and associate dimensions with measures.
• Working with Measures
• Working with Measure Groups
Module 5: Introduction to MDX
This module describes the fundamentals of MDX and explains how to build calculations, such as calculated members and named sets.
• MDX Fundamentals
• Adding Calculations to a Cube
• Using MDX to Query a Cube
Module 6: Enhancing a Cube
This module describes how to enhance a cube with Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), actions, perspectives, and translations.
• Working with Key Performance Indicators
• Working with Actions
• Working with Perspectives
• Working with Translations
Module 7: Implementing an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model
This module describes Analysis Services tabular data models and explains how to develop a tabular data model using the SQL Server Data Tools for Business Intelligence (BI) add-in for Visual Studio.
• Introduction to Analysis Services Tabular Data Models
• Creating a Tabular Data Model
• Using an Analysis Services Tabular Data Model in the Enterprise
Module 8: Introduction to DAX
This module explains the fundamentals of the DAX language. It also explains how you can use DAX to create calculated columns and measures, and how you can use them in your tabular data models.
• DAX Fundamentals
• Enhancing a Tabular Data Model with DAX
Module 9: Implementing Reports with SQL Server Reporting Services
This module introduces Microsoft SQL Server Reporting Services and discusses the tools and techniques that a professional BI developer can use to create and publish reports.
• Introduction to Reporting Services
• Creating a Report with Report Designer
• Grouping and Aggregating Data in a Report
• Publishing and Viewing a Report
Module 10: Enhancing Reports with SQL Server Reporting Services
This module describes how to enhance a SQL Server reporting Services report with charts and other visualizations, and how to use parameters to filter data in a report.
• Showing Data Graphically
• Filtering Reports by Using Parameters
Module 11: Managing Report Execution and Delivery
This module describes how to apply security and report execution settings, and how to create subscriptions to deliver reports.
• Managing Report Security
• Managing Report Execution
• Subscriptions and Data Alerts
• Troubleshooting Reporting Services
Module 12: Delivering BI with SharePoint PerformancePoint Services
This module introduces Microsoft SharePoint Server as a platform for BI, and then focuses on building BI dashboards and scorecards with PerformancePoint Services.
• Introduction to SharePoint Server as a BI Platform
• Introduction to PerformancePoint Services
• PerformancePoint Data Sources and Time Intelligence
• Reports, Scorecards, and Dashboards
Module 13: Performing Predictive Analysis with Data Mining
This module introduces data mining, describes how to create a data mining solution, how to validate data mining models, how to use the Data Mining Add-ins for Microsoft Excel, and how to incorporate data mining results into Reporting Services reports.
• Overview of Data Mining
• Creating a Data Mining Solution
• Validating a Data Mining Model
• Consuming Data Mining Data